At Hanning & Sacchetto, LLP, our Whittier motorcycle accident attorneys have witnessed the catastrophic injuries and tragic fatalities associated with crashes involving vulnerable California riders firsthand.
Our Los Angeles County personal injury lawyers know that whether motorcyclists use their bikes for daily transportation or lengthy weekend rides, their safety is often at risk for several reasons — including the lack of protection between their person, the road, and negligent drivers.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, per vehicle miles traveled last year, motorcyclists were about 28 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to die in a motor vehicle crash and were four times more likely to be injured.
The National Safety Council reported that while motorcycles make up only 3% of all registered vehicles and 0.6% of all vehicle miles traveled in the United States, riders accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities, 18% of all occupant fatalities, and 4% of all occupant injuries in last year.
With such grim statistics weighing heavily against motorcyclists in California and throughout the U.S., the question becomes, how do we help keep riders safer on our roadways?
We have a few tips.
Tips to Help Decrease California Motorcycle Accidents, Injuries, and Fatalities
When it comes to decreasing motorcycle accidents, injuries, and fatalities in California, the responsibility falls on all motorists — including passenger vehicle drivers and riders.
When motorists are traveling California roadways with motorcyclists, they should:
- Share the road with motorcyclists and give them the respect and space they would another passenger vehicle.
- Adjust their mirrors to help decrease blind spots.
- Understand where blind spots exist, so they can double-check their surroundings accordingly.
- Keep a safe braking distance, as motorcyclists do not always use their brakes, which means drivers may not be alerted to slow down by brake lights.
- Avoid turning left in front of oncoming motorcyclists, as it is difficult to judge their distance or speed.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Avoid distractions that allow motorcyclists to be visible one second and gone the next.
When motorcycles are sharing the roadways with motorists, they should:
- Choose a motorcycle that fits your physical abilities.
- Check the motorcycle before every ride.
- Always wear a helmet. After all, it is the law.
- Wear protective eye gear and apparel.
- Keep the motorcycle in safe riding condition.
- Take a motorcycle safety course.
- Maintain a safe speed by following the posted speed limits.
- Stay alert and be visible to help ensure other motorists can see you before changing lanes.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Communicate your intentions by using the proper signals, brake lights, and lane positions.
Contact Our Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Whittier, California
At Hanning & Sacchetto, LLP, our Whittier motorcycle accident attorneys hope you never need us. However, if you are involved in a collision caused by negligence in California, seek medical care immediately and contact our skilled Whittier personal injury attorneys by calling (562) 698-6446 to schedule a free consultation today. We can help you understand your legal rights and options to pursue the liable party for your full financial recovery, so you can get the medical care and time away from work you need to take back control of your life.